"Unity without verity is no better than conspiracy." - John Trapp

Saturday, May 06, 2006

First Attempt

In the now infamous words, here goes nothing.

This looks pretty simple, but given my history, I can mess anything up. If this works out, I'll be posting thoughts from time to time. For now, the origin of the blog title is from a quote. John Trapp, a Puritan, noted that "Unity without verity is not better than conspiracy." We live in an age where many people want to "get along" without any basis in truth (verity). If Trapp is right, and I think he is, then getting along in many contexts today is conspiracy, but the one that concerns me most is the conspiracy of the evangelical church, which has chosen to hide much of what it professes to believe to become acceptable to the culture. There is a tacit conspiracy among evengelical churches, particularly those of a "seeker-sensitive" or "mega-church" mentality, to hide the more offensive parts of the gospel, even though Jesus is called "a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense." Don't read this as me saying we should be offensive, but we cannot deny the truth in order to be liked.

"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

1 Comments:

Blogger Trebor Nevals said...

Yeah, everything's about marketing now adays. Even eternal salvation (whatever that really is). Sad to say... oh well, honesty is the best policy but so little practiced that it's hardly a policy any more.

11:47 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home