"Unity without verity is no better than conspiracy." - John Trapp

Saturday, October 28, 2006

More Favorite Hymns - Before the Throne of God Above

This hymn was written by Charitie Bancroft. I have never actually sang this hymn, but it appears, with alternate lyrics and music on Bob Kauflin's Upward. This is an excellent CD with some great old hymns with new arrangements and music.

As I mentioned, I had never even heard of this hymn before and the words are wonderful. They speak of the greatness of the work of Jesus and the exchange of my sin for His righteousness. The tune listed for the hymn is "Sweet Hour" by William Bradbury. As you might have guessed, this is the tune from the more familiar "Sweet Hour of Prayer" in case you do want to sing this.

Before the Throne of God Above

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Among Presbyterian churches here in Australia this hymn has undergone a significant revival thanks to this new tune. Personally, I think it's so beautiful that hearing it to "Sweet Hour of Prayer" really grates now.

6:15 AM EST  
Blogger Taliesin said...

I, too, love the tune from Upward. The whole CD is great, in my opinion. I was slow to warm to the "modern" worship songs (I was expecting something like the choruses that preceeded them). But the songs coming out of Sovereign Grace and some other places now that have solid lyrical content I really enjoy singing (not that people near me enjoy it when I sing :).

2:57 PM EST  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

We sing this occasionaly at my church. It could be one of my favorites!

4:26 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home