"Unity without verity is no better than conspiracy." - John Trapp

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Just More Randomness

Tomorrow (okay, today now, if you want to be technical) I'm off to Grand Rapids. The long winter is (seems to be) over. I'm not sure if people who have always lived south of Tennessee can really understand cabin fever, but it will be nice to travel a bit and hear the Word proclaimed.

While reading this, one of the early lines:
I sometimes - not often enough - grieve at how little the Scriptures actually touch my heart.
reminded me of a song (most things do, I just don't usually talk about it, because, well, many of the songs from my youth might be better if I forgot them). It was off topic there, so I didn't post it as a comment, but thought I would bring it up here.

There was (still is, I think) a CCM group called Glad that was most popular in the '80s. One of their songs was "Most of the Time" which had lines like:
"And sometimes I hear You with Your gentle soothing voice;
Your words are always truthful, and they cause me to rejoice.

But most of the time I'm still not understanding,
the smallest part of what Your trying to say.
And most of the time I find that I'm pretending,
And the things that You desire get in my way."
The song struck me when compared to most Christian music of the time because it was not about how great everything was if you were a Christian. The song found hope and joy not in blessings in this life, but in total dependence on Jesus and the trustworthiness of the Scriptures:
"All of the time You say that You're perfecting me;
And everything You've said I know it's true.
And some of the time I'm close to understanding,
That it isn't up to me it's up to You."
That is the hope, that my sanctification, like my salvation, is in His hands, not mine. Not that I don't "press on" but that I know that "He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it." It is the message of Colossians 3:1-4 - focus on Jesus, on the Kingdom that is not fully here yet, not on this world which is passing away.

Which reminds me of a Bob Benson story . . .

Have a blessed weekend!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger HeavyDluxe said...

Have a wonderful time at the conference, Eddie... Will be praying that you have a rich time of fellowship in and study of God's Word!

8:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Even So... said...

Enjoy!

12:57 PM EDT  
Blogger JBeaucaire said...

MOST OF THE TIME by Glad...

I'm looking for the entire text of this song. Does anyone have it? I've Googled to no avail.

7:58 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home