"Unity without verity is no better than conspiracy." - John Trapp

Friday, February 29, 2008

How Conservative Is Your Hermenuetic?

This link was sent to me earlier in the week. It's a 20 question quiz to determine how you approach Scripture. For those curious, I scored a 44, but I'm not sure the numbers mean much. As much as the terminology pains me, I would want to have a conversation about why a particular choice was made before even attempting to label the choice.

Now, I love the little quizzes like this. Anyone taken the "What kind of sports car are you quiz?" (HT: Craver) But that is more of a fun thing. How we interpret Scripture is important, and I'm not sure a number based on 20 questions can determine if we are conservative, moderate, or progressive. Some of the questions, I think at least, are not conservative versus liberal, like the question of prophecy (number 7). It is a very interesting question in thinking about how we interpret Scripture, but I'm not convinced how we answer it says anything about whether that interpretation is conservative or progressive.

So thinking about our hermeneutic and discussing how we reach conclusions when reading Scripture is a great idea. I'm just not sure the ranking is helpful. But with that said, just what was your score? :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I got a 41, which means I'm more correct than 59% of Christians, right? (just kidding of course.) lol

Fun quiz. I love quizzes, though I don't always post my results for all to see. lol.

Thanx for this, Eddie.

9:33 PM EST  
Blogger HeavyDluxe said...

Hey Eddie... Long time no see.

44, same as you, though I (also like you) put no stock in the score.

I hate test like this. I'm such an analyzer that I drive myself batty.

10:20 PM EST  
Blogger Even So... said...

40...but the questions leave a lot to be desired...

11:27 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home